Re: Have you always dreamed of become a high payed consultant?

Hmmm... waiting to get "payed" with "baited" breath...

Maybe people are skeptical of taking lessons from someone who spells the way
he talks...(the corollary to that being that he probably programs the way he
thinks, and we all know how lethal that can be...<G>)

While it doesn't really matter in a Newsgroup, it certainly matters in the
world of commerce.

I receive about  12 letters a week from various agencies and consultancies
offering me services. I immediately bin any that have spelling or (serious)
grammatical errors (I am happy to accept colloquialisms) in them.

My reasoning goes that if they haven't got the time to check mail before
they send it, they probably haven't got time to check code before they
install it either. Of course, if they DID check it, and still didn't spot
the errors, then they are simply incompetent and there is no point in
dealing with them. Apart from that, I need an excuse to filter them, and
this is as good as any <G>

So, you are asking, what do I do with the 1 that (sometmes) survives this
check? (yes, it is a sad reflection on our times...both of the languages I
love the best  (English and COBOL) are in decline for different reasons...)

Well, at least they are in with a chance... I usually note what they are
offering and file or circulate them until such time as I actually need the
service offered. Of course, once a relationship has been established, then
the tendency is to deal in future with the devil you know.

So track record and service focus win every time.

Pete.

3DDD7119.70809@nycap.rr.com">news:3DDD7119.70809@nycap.rr.com...

                http://www.usenet.com