Re: Var-free programming (slightly off-topic)

  DW> It seems to me that there are a lot of people on this list who
  DW> are very eager to criticize Java.  (Java is heavyweight, and
  DW> thus Java is bad.)  Perhaps it is largely because Java has
  DW> gotten so widespread and popular that it invites so much
  DW> resentment.

Perhaps it's a way to demonstrate superiority.  It used to be that
really smart programmers complained about the problems with C and
C++.  Then Java came along and every programmer learned that Java was
C++ with all the bad stuff taken out.  So it's not a sign of
distinction to complain about C++ anymore.  All the Java programmers
do it.

But the superior programmer can still grumble about Java's lack of
parameterized types or the flaws in its memory model or its lack of
support for tail-call optimization.

Jeremy