RE: Small time coding [Was: Re: About Visual Basic [Was: Industryversus academia]]

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Anton van Straaten wrote:

> But I was thinking of some of the more widely-used languages.  Python, for
> example, would benefit from something like this.  It's been discussed,
> naturally - see:
> http://www.python.org/sigs/types-sig/
>
> But these discussions invariably get into interfaces, inferencing, static
> checking, checked modules, dreams of C-level performance, etc.  It seems to
> quickly get too complicated, big and language-changing to actually be
> implementable.  If they'd just added simple type annotations with dynamic
> checking, they'd be done already, tools could be using the info, and the
> appropriate next steps might seem clearer.  And it'd be at least as good as
> Visual BASIC.  :oP

Ruby is not as widespread as Python but there is something like what
you're after in the StrongTyping module:

http://www.nwlink.com/~rpav/StrongTyping.html

Its only an extension so not supported in language itself though...

Regards,

Robert Feldt