Re: Aspect Oriented Programming in context of lightweight languages.

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Matthew Estes wrote:

> 	I've been reading on Aspect Oriented Programming for a while, and I was
> having a hard time getting my head around it. On the surface, it seems
> useful to me, but it seems everyone loves the "adding logging to an
> application example", and other problems solved by it aren't just busting
> out of my head.
> 	In a Lightweight/Little Languages context, I was curious both for examples
> of (specific) problems it solves, and whether it applies to something
> besides a mostly procedural/OO language like Java. For instance, how does
> AOP relate to Lisp? Does Lisp already do it? How?

One example:

Me an Avi Bryant wrote AspectR for AOP in Ruby.
It was mostly a "hack" to see if it could be done (and we haven't touched
it in a long time) but was also used to implement a profiler that is
more efficient than the existing Ruby profiler since you can select which
areas of your code you want to profile.

http://aspectr.sourceforge.net/rbprof/

Regards,

Robert Feldt