Re: the forward method [dynamic vs. static typing]

On 2003-12-09T03:26:07-0800, Steve Dekorte wrote:
> I wrote a distributed objects system in Io in a weekend with about 2
> pages of codes - no wrappers, preprocessors, etc, required. How much
> code did the C++ implementation take? How long did it take to write?
> How complicated was the resulting system? Did new code need to be
> written every time a new class was added? If not, was as a preprocessor
> involved?

I wrote a distributed objects system in a distributed objects system
with no code whatsoever -- no wrappers, preprocessor, etc. required.
How complicated was your Io code?  Was a preprocessor (such as ext2fs)
involved?

> Take a look at NewtonScript's inheritance system. GUI view objects
> would use their parent slots to (often) delegate unimplemented messages
> to their superviews. The result is both a powerful inheritance system
> and never knowing who might end up handling the message.

Read what you're replying to again.

> Yes, writing a wrong value to a variable in a strongly/dynamically
> typed system is generally far easier to trace than writing the wrong
> value to a random memory location. At least in my experience.

The former problem is unpreventable at runtime, while the latter is
easily prevented at runtime.

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
International Human Rights Day * 2003-12-10 * http://www.un.org/rights/

What if All Chemists Went on Strike? (science fiction)
http://www.iupac.org/publications/ci/2003/2506/iw3_letters.html