My research is about increasing the efficiency, robustness, and versatility of highly dynamic and underactuated robots. I design algorithms that exploit convexity, sparsity, or statistical structure to solve optimal planning and control problems and improve the capabilities of complex physical systems. My work has been implemented on a variety of amazing robots including the Boston Dynamics Atlas, the uBot-5, and NASA's Robonaut 2.
- Apr 10, 2015: Check out my talk entitled Real-time optimization algorithms for dynamic walking, running, and manipulating robots
- Apr 07, 2015: Atlas is picking up the pace [YouTube]
- Jan 23, 2015: Atlas got 75% upgraded, and we made it walk in less than 1 day [YouTube] [IEEE].
- Oct 23, 2014: We submitted a journal paper entitled "Optimization-based locomotion planning, estimation, and control design for Atlas." Download the preprint here.
- Sep 07, 2014: Check out this Engadget post highlighting our demonstration of Atlas walking while carrying a load.
- Apr 30, 2014: The Technology Review named Agile Robots as one of the top 10 technology breakthroughs of 2014 and highlighted our work on balance control with Atlas.
- Apr 16, 2014: The Atlas walking code from our ICRA 2014 paper is now available for download!
- Feb 24, 2014: Our RSS 2014 DRC workshop proposal has been accepted.
- Jan 15, 2014: Our paper entitled An Efficiently Solvable Quadratic Program for Stabilizing Dynamic Locomotion was accepted to ICRA 2014.
- Dec 22, 2013: Our team placed 4th in the DRC Trials, earning us a slot as a finalist to compete in the 2014 Robotics Challenge! Check out the day 1 and day 2 video wraps.
- Jun 27, 2013: Our team placed 3rd in the DARPA Virtual Robotics Challange! Check out the CSAIL Spotlight article on our VRC effort.
- Nov 13, 2012: Our paper entitled Variable Risk Control via Stochastic Optimization has been accepted to the International Journal of Robotics Research.
- Aug 24, 2012: I have successfully defended my PhD thesis!
- Jul 13, 2012: I am pleased and honored to have been awarded the Best Spotlight Talk and Electronic Poster at RSS 2012.
- Jun 17, 2012: I received a NICTA student fellowship for travel to RSS to present our paper entitled Variational Bayesian Optimization for Runtime Risk-Sensitive Control.
- Jun 11, 2012: I'm excited to be back at Johnson Space Center working with the R2 team! Check out this video from my previous visit.