Tsung-Hsiang (Sean) Chang
Research InterestsThe area overlapping between Human-Computer Interaction and Software Engineering: End-User Programming, Programming by Demonstration, data visualization, productivity tools, user interfaces for programming.
Ph.D. in Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Thesis: Using Graphical Representation of User Interfaces as Visual References. Advisor: Rob Miller.
M.S. in Dept. of Computer Science and Information Engineering,
National Taiwan University
Thesis: Productivity Game Design and Gameplay Analysis: Play and Annotate with PhotoSlap. Advisor: Jane Yung-jen Hsu.
B.S. in Dept. of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Taiwan University
- Google US/Canada PhD Fellowship in Human-Computer Interaction 2011
- Best Student Paper Award, ACM UIST 2009
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, CSIE, NTU. 2007
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, CSIE, NTU. 2006
- Distinction Award, "Intelligent Cane - A Partner for the Visually Impaired," National Taiwan University Engineering Technology Contest 2005
- 2nd Place, National Collegiate Programming Contest 2002
- 1st Place, 2nd NTU-NCTU(National Chiao Tung University) Friendship Programming Contest 2002
- National Representative in Participating Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) 2001
- Bronze Medal, International Olympia in Informatics (IOI) 2000
- 2nd Place, National Computer Science Competition of Senior High School 2000
Jan, 12 - present
Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer, Flyberry Capital, Cambridge, MA, USA.
Lead the rollout of all technogloy-related initiatives and build a team of quantitative data scientists and system engineers. These include, but are not limited to:
- Event-driven Trading System: Designed and implemented a system that automatically trades on discrete and short-term events, which includes data collection, unification, and aggregation from diverse sources; internal API for reading market data, placing orders, and managing portfolios; modularized trading algorithm execution; trading performance metrics and analytics; and web interfaces for managing and monitoring trading algorithms and performances.
- Integrated Data Analysis, Visualization, and Backtesting System: Designed and implemented a web-based system that facilitates the development of new trading algorithms, which provides intuitive user interfaces for querying and comparing a veriety of data sets and a unified API for accessing the data in an web-based Python development environment.
- Trading Algorithm Development: Designed, implemented, and deployed event-driven trading algorithms using our in-house platforms. These algorithms outperformed S&P 500 for 7 of 8 months of live trading since April, 2012.
- Infrastructure and Productivity Tools: Built and administrate the infrastructure and tools to support and increase the productivity of the team, which includes issue tracking, version control, daily report and digest system, VPN, databases, and Linux servers.
- Team Recruiting and Management: Recruit and manage a team of 3 quantitative data scientists and 3 system engineers. Developed a web-based system for conducting technical interviews remotely in a realistic environment.
Jun, 10 - Sep, 10
Research Intern, Google Research, Mountain View, California, USA.
- Developed a novel technique and a system to facilitate web and user interface design.
- Developed a framework Deep Shot to support two novel techniques for migrating information and tasks across devices.
Jan, 10 - present
Lead Developer, Project SIKULI
- Released my research project SIKULI as an open source project.
- SIKULI has received total 200,000+ downloads and its demo video recevied 200,000 views on YouTube in six months.
- Sep, 08 - Jun, 12 Research Assistant, MIT CSAIL, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
May, 07 - Jul, 07
Software Engineering Intern, Google, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Designed and implemented a Google application running on several mobile or portable platforms.
- Co-worked with a team member to implement our own HTTP server for customized services.
- Designed and implemented 4 service adapters connecting to existing Google services and integrated them to our HTTP server architecture.
May, 05 - May, 07
Core Developer, The OpenVanilla Project
- Developed a Chinese input method module, Array30, for OpenVanilla, the most popular open source text entry and processing architecture on Mac OS X.
- Improved the performance by 15% after redesigning the algorithm of the parser of generic input method files.
- Port the OpenVanilla platform to X11 by developing a bridge module for Smart Common Input Method (SCIM) on Linux.
May, 03 - Jun, 05
Part-time Engineer and Consultant, QIC SYSTEMS CORP, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Designed and implemented a general purpose packet sniffer to rebuild TCP connections and parsing modules for monitoring HTTP, SMTP, POP3, MSN activities in an enterprise network.
- Developed an anti-spam mail gateway for enterprises, and designed/implemented the underlying filering system, which used Perl to glue several open source solutions, such as Postfix, amavisd-new, SpamAssassin, procmail.
Sep, 01 - Jun, 07
Consultant and Linux System Administrator, Workstation Lab, CSIE, NTU.
- Administrated and maintained 15 Linux workstations and mail, web, NFS, NIS servers for CSIE, NTU (about 3500 users).
- Used Perl and Bash shell scripts to automatically manage and process system configuration files.
- Jan, 11 - May, 11 Teaching Assistant of "6.831/6.813 User Interface Design and Implementation," MIT.
- Jan, 10 - May, 10 Teaching Assistant of "6.831/6.813 User Interface Design and Implementation," MIT.
Sep, 06 - Jan, 07
Teaching Assistant of "Introduction to Computer Science," CSIE, NTU.
Feb, 06 - Jun, 06 Teaching Assistant of "Introduction to Computer Science," NTU.
- Gave a weekly 1 hour laboratory session to teach practical knowledge of Computer Science.
- Held 2 hours of weekly office hours to answer student's questions.
- Tsung-Hsiang Chang, Tom Yeh, Robert C. Miller. Associating the Visual Representation of User Interfaces with their Internal Structures and Metadata. In Proceedings of UIST 2011: ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, October 2011.
- Tom Yeh, Tsung-Hsiang Chang, Bo Xie, Greg Walsh, Ivan Watkins, Krist Wongsuphasawat, Man Huang, Larry S. Davis, and Ben Bederson. Creating Contextual Help for GUIs Using Screenshots. In Proceedings of UIST 2011: ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, October 2011.
- Tsung-Hsiang Chang, Yang Li. Deep Shot: A Framework for Migrating Tasks Across Devices Using Mobile Phone Cameras. In Proceedings of CHI 2011: ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, April 2011.
- Tsung-Hsiang Chang, Tom Yeh, Robert C. Miller. GUI Testing Using Computer Vision. In Proceedings of CHI 2010: ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, April 2010.
- Tom Yeh, Tsung-Hsiang Chang, Robert C. Miller. Sikuli: Using GUI Screenshots for Search and Automation. In Proceedings of UIST 2009: ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, October 2009. (Best Student Paper Award)
- Wenn-Chieh Tsai, Yuan-Hsiang Lee, Tsung-Hsiang Chang, Chien-Ju Ho, Jane Yung-jen Hsu. Designing human-computer multi-agent collaboration in productive multi-player games. In Proceedings of 7th International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2008), Vol. 3, May 2008.
- Chien-Ju Ho, Tsung-Hsiang Chang, Jane Yung-jen Hsu. PhotoSlap: A Multi-player Online Game for Semantic Annotation. In Proceedings of the Twenty-Second Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-07), July 2007.
- Jane Yung-jen Hsu, Kwei-Jay Lin, Tsung-Hsiang Chang, Chien-Ju Ho, Han-Shen Huang, Wan-rong Jih. Parameter learning of personalized trust models in broker-based distributed trust management. Information Systems Frontiers, Special Issue on Web and Distributed Information Systems, Springer Publishers, 8(4):321-333, September 2006.
Posters and Demonstrations
- Tom Yeh, Tsung-Hsiang Chang, Robert C. Miller. Obtaining Help on GUI Elements Using Screenshots. In Adjunct Proceedings of UIST 2008: ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, October 2008.
- Tsung-Hsiang Chang, Chien-Ju Ho, Jane Yung-jen Hsu. The PhotoSlap Game: Play to Annotate. In Proceedings of the Twenty-Second Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-07), July 2007.
- Tsung-Hsiang Chang, Chien-Ju Ho, David Chawei Hsu, Yuan-Hsiang Lee, Min-Shieh Tsai, Mu-Chun Wang, Jane Yung-jen Hsu. iCane - A Partner for the Visually Impaired. In Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing (EUC) Workshops, December 2005.
- "Moving Information Between Computing Devices," US Patent, Publication number: US 2012/0070090 A1
- "Systems And Methods For Tracking A Set Of Experiments," US Patent Pending.
- "Systems And Methods For Assessing Candidates," US Provisional Patent Pending.
- "Sikuli: Using Screenshots for GUI Automation and Testing," Google Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. Feb, 11
- "Practical Sikuli: Using Screenshots for GUI Automation and Testing," Megason Lab, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts, USA.
- May, 09 - May, 11 IT Officer, Ashdown House, MIT, USA.
- Jul, 07 - Jun, 08 System Engineering Corporal, the compulsory military service of R.O.C. Air Force, Taiwan.
- Sep, 05 - Jun, 07 Information Technology Officer, IEEE NTU Student Branch.
- Sep, 99 - Sep, 00 Vice President & Lecturer, Computer Information Researching Club, Taichung First Senior High School.
- You can take it with you: A new system lets you transfer open applications between a computer and a cellphone simply by pointing the phone's camera at the computer's screen, MIT News, June 2011.
- Want to Transfer Data to Your Phone? Just Point and Shoot, All Things D, The Wall Street Journal, June 2011.
- Finally, A Simple Way to Throw Applications Between Your Computer and Your Phone, While They're Running, Popular Science, June 2011.
- DeepShot syncs running apps between computer, phone, CNet News, June 2011.
- "Screen-Capture Programming: What You See is What You Script," IEEE Computing Now, March 2010.
- "Tsung-Hsiang Chang: A Taiwanese Programmer Who Impressed The World with Sikuli," Network Magazine (in Chinese), March 2010.
- "Picture-driven computing," MIT News, Jan 2010.
- "A Computer Science Student Who Excites Programmers", iThome Weekly News(in Chinese), Feb 2010.