I’m an Assistant Professor at IST Austria. My research focuses on concurrent data structures and distributed algorithms, and spans from algorithms and lower bounds, to practical implementations.
Before IST, I was a researcher at ETH Zurich and Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK. Prior to that, I was a Postdoctoral Associate at MIT CSAIL, working with Prof. Nir Shavit. I received my PhD from the EPFL, under the guidance of Prof. Rachid Guerraoui.
My research is supported by a 2018 ERC Starting Grant, a 2016 SNF Ambizione Grant, and generous support from Amazon and Google.
I am also the Machine Learning Research Lead at Neural Magic.
- We have open intern, PhD and postdoc positions as part of the ScaleML ERC Starting Grant project, whose goal is to develop new theory, algorithms, and systems for scalable machine learning. The ideal candidate would have a strong background in CS or Math, with a PhD in CS or a related field. Applicants with experience in optimization theory or distributed systems implementation are particularly encouraged, although all strong applicants will be given proper consideration.
For questions about the positions and the application process, please contact me via email at email@example.com. The application should contain a CV, publication list, a 1-page statement describing motivation and research interests, and, if applicable, links to your publications.
- FOCS 2020, PODC 2020, PPoPP 2020, AAAI 2020, MLSys 2020, NeurIPS 2019, DISC 2019, ICML 2019, ISCA 2019 (external), ICML 2019, SysML 2019, PPoPP 2019, NIPS 2018, DISC 2018, PODC 2018, ICDCS 2018, DISC 2017, ALGOCLOUD 2017 (PC chair)
- Our work on searching for the fastest concurrent Union-Find algorithm was chosen as Best Paper at OPODIS 2019.
- I gave a Keynote Talk at DISC 2019 on Distributed Machine Learning. The slides are here.
- Our work on Powerset Convolutional Nets is accepted to NeurIPS 2019. Congratulations to Chris Wendler on his first paper!
- The paper describing SparCML, our communication library for machine learning applications, has been accepted to SC19.
- Nikita gave a talk describing our work on designing and implementing scalable channels at EuroPar 2019.
- Our work on distributed optimization over unreliable networks has been accepted to ICML 2019.
- Our paper on the limitations of extension-based impossibility proofs was accepted to STOC 2019.
- I gave a tutorial on Distributed and Concurrent Machine Learning at PODC 2018. Slides are here.
- I gave an invited talk at NVIDIA GTC 2018 on sparsification and quantization for scalable machine learning.
- Our work on neural network compression using distilled quantization was accepted to ICLR18. The implementation is here.
- QSGD was accepted as a Spotlight paper in NIPS 2017. Both CNTK and TensorFlow implementations are available.
I am extremely lucky to be able to work with the following students and postdocs:
- Joel Rybicki (PostDoc @ IST)
- Janne Korhonen (PostDoc @ IST)
- Bapi Chatterjee (PostDoc @ IST)
- Peter Davies (PostDoc @ IST)
- Giorgi Nadiradze (PhD @ IST)
- Alexandra Peste (PhD @ IST)
- Aleksandr Shevchenko (PhD @ IST)
- Ilya Markov (PhD @ IST)
- Nikita Koval (Intern -> Researcher at JetBrains)
- Chris Wendler (PhD @ ETH)
Visitors / Collaborators / Friends of the Lab:
- Prof Nir Shavit (visiting November 2019)
- Prof. Thomas Sauerwald (visiting Oct 2019)
- Prof. Gregory Valiant (visiting Nov 2018)
- Prof. Robert Tarjan (visiting May 2018)
- Dr. Frank McSherry (visiting May 2018)
- Dr. Aleksandar Prokopec (visiting April 2018)
- Prof. Ce Zhang (ETH)
- Prof. Markus Pueschel (ETH)
- Prof. Torsten Hoefler (ETH)
- Vitaly Aksenov (PostDoc @ IST -> Lecturer @ ITMO)
- Saleh Ashkboos (Intern @ IST -> PhD @ ETH Zurich)
- Trevor Brown (PostDoc @ IST -> Assistant Professor @ Waterloo)
- Antonio Polino (MSc @ ETH -> Google Search)
- Rati Gelashvili (PhD@MIT, now Algorithms Lead at NeuralMagic)
- Justin Kopinsky (PhD@MIT, now Engineering Lead at NeuralMagic)
- Nandini Singhal (Intern @ IST -> Microsoft Research)
- Martin Thoresen (Intern -> PhD @ IST)
- Arnab Kar (MSc Thesis @ IST -> PhD @ Duke University)
- Ekaterina Goltsova (ISTern @ IST -> Master’s @ EPFL)
- Demjan Grubić (MSc, now at Google)
- Cédric Renggli (MSc Thesis (ETH Medal), with Torsten Hoefler, now PhD@ETH)
- Aline Abler (BSc, with Torsten Hoefler)
- Raphael Kuebler (BSc)
- Jerry Z. Li (Intern, PhD@MIT)
- Jenny Iglesias (Intern, PhD@CMU)
- Syed Kamran Haider (Intern @ MSR, now Researcher @ Qualcomm)
- Hyunjik Kim (Intern @ MSR -> PhD @ Oxford -> Researcher at DeepMind)