Re: Lightweight Languages Workshop (DDJ Article)

On Wednesday, January 16, 2002, at 01:30 PM, Scott McKay wrote:

> "Virtual" method dispatch in any language that supports it has the
> same performance, though -- C++ and Java, e.g.

C++ allows non-virtual methods, although it's a pain when even the most
experienced programmers occasionally forget to make a destructor virtual
or end up shadowing a virtual member function with a non-virtual one.

> And 'n log n' is pretty small when, even in large programs, n probably
> averages around 2.  (I'm guessing at that number, but I'll bet you a
> beer I'm not off by more than one.)

You can always use "define function", which avoids GF dispatch
altogether.

- Rob.