Re: What?

"Jason Trenouth" <jason.trenouth@bigfoot.com> writes:

> that too much was dropped. Dylan is not just just borrowing from Common Lisp
> it is also deliberately _not_ borrowing from Common Lisp, eg:
>
>     standard s-expression IO

For quite a while, there were both syntaxes supported.  Dropping
support for s-expressions was quite controversial, and one can still
feel the heat of the flame wars back then.

>     eval
>     compile, compile-file, make-load-form

Don't forget read and print in this list.  While all this was
deliberately not put into the core standards (after all, target for
Dylan was a1989 PDA with 1 MB of Flash), common sense was that it
could be added as a library if needed.  This is something I actually
want to have with Gwydion.

>     slot-value

Things are a little different in Dylan, so this function wouldn't make
any sense with Dylan.

>     :after, :before, :around methods

These would be useful from time to time, but of course come with a
price tag.

>     formatting of Roman numerals in two styles!! :-j

Ok, I must admit the vast superiority of CL in this case :).

Andreas

--
"In my eyes it is never a crime to steal knowledge. It is a good
theft. The pirate of knowledge is a good pirate."