Re: What?

On Sunday, August 18, 2002, at 06:45 PM, Andreas Bogk wrote:

> Gabor Greif <ggreif@lucent.com> writes:
>
>>> I can understand that Dylan does no longer follow above ideas and
>>> tries
>>> to be compatible with the mainstream. I also can understand that
>>> maintaining
>>> two (or more) surface syntaxes would not be a really practicable idea.

I'm more than happy for people to write s-expression Dylan so long as I
can keep using the infix syntax. Were macros ever finalized for the
prefix syntax?

>> It would probably ignite the same flamewars _inside_ of the Dylan
>> community as between some members of the Dylan and CL communities. I
>> personally do not want that.

The border treaty of 2001 has held so far. :-)

> Probably.  But I would like to mention that I see Gwydion as a
> potential compiler suite that targets more languages than just Dylan,
> and I wouln't turn down a frontend for a language with Dylan semantics
> and Lisp syntax.

I have a design for a language (provisionally) called Lithe that is
basically Dylan with a bracketless Lisp syntax: it uses the
prettyprinting to decide on blocks like Python does.

- Rob.