Re: Extending Open Generics

On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 11:50 PM, P T Withington wrote:

> My dylan's a bit rusty, but I recall the recommended practice to have
> an interface module that creates the names and then any number of
> implementation modules that will assign definitions to the names.

OK, I'll try this. Thanks. I think the Harlequin book has a good
section on creating and assigning names.

> Another thought:  a method by itself implicitly defines a generic, if
> the generic definition has not already been seen.  Perhaps you just
> have an ordering problem where the generic has not been seen in
> cocoa-wrappers before the method is seen?

There isn't a generic in cocoa-wrappers, just the method (if I've read
your message correctly). Wouldn't defining the generic in the importing
module clash with the export, or can you declare a generic as often as
you like? The file is generated by a particularly dumb script, I don't
want to have to keep track of generics. I can add the definitions for
any clashes by hand, though.

- Rob.