[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Harlequin

On 10 Jul 1999 16:56:23 GMT, David Combs wrote:
>In article <slrn7o6hjq.c43.pvaneynd@mail.inthan.be>,
>Peter Van Eynde <pvaneynd@inthan.be> wrote:
>>On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 10:40:06 GMT, BPerryman@computasoft.com wrote:
>>>
>>>The trouble with CMUCL is that it is just so complex. I've never even
>>>managed to get the system to build with or without instructions.
>>
>>Get the debian packages and the .tar.gz file. Get CMUCL to work from the
>>debs. Unpack the tar.gz. Type "make". Look at the new bits.
>><snip>
>
>(I just started reading this thread; first parts gone)
>
>QUESTION: the suggestion "get the debian packages": can you
>do that on sparc/solaris?

Ahem. I think so, I haven't checked lately but debian works (more or
less) on i86, alpha, sparc, arm and I think there is even a 68k project.

But as I have no sparc, there is no debian package of CMUCL for sparc.

There is however a normal tar.gz package at www.cons.org, IIRC.

>QUESTION: "the debs.": What is that, "debs"?

A .deb file is a debian package. It is actually a ar archive containing
the software itself and a package description that takes care of
dependencies, config files etc.

(note: With "alien" you can convert between .deb, .rpm and .tgz files.)

With apt-get you can now even do "apt-get install cmucl-small" and CMUCL
will be downloaded and installed for you...

Groetjes, Peter

--
It's logic Jim, but not as we know it. | pvaneynd@debian.org for pleasure,
"God, root, what is difference?" - Pitr| pvaneynd@inthan.be for more pleasure!