[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Harlequin

Any chance a friend of yours DOES have access to a SPARC?  Looks like
there's some neat programs that could benefit the many SPARC users.

By the way, Solaris has created a neat concept of what they
call a "package", with a lot of programs (in man (1)) named
with the prefix "pkg", eg "pkgadd", "pkginfo", "pkgrm", etc, etc,
making installation and management FAR easier.

(Probably something similar in linux?)

Thanks for whatever you can do.

David

In article <slrn7ok0oi.q74.pvaneynd@mail.inthan.be>,
Peter Van Eynde <pvaneynd@inthan.be> wrote:
>On 10 Jul 1999 16:56:23 GMT, David Combs wrote:
>>In article <slrn7o6hjq.c43.pvaneynd@mail.inthan.be>,
>>Peter Van Eynde <pvaneynd@inthan.be> wrote:

>>>Get the debian packages and the .tar.gz file. Get CMUCL to work from the
>>>debs. Unpack the tar.gz. Type "make". Look at the new bits.
>>><snip>
>>
>>(I just started reading this thread; first parts gone)
>>
>>QUESTION: the suggestion "get the debian packages": can you
>>do that on sparc/solaris?
>
>Ahem. I think so, I haven't checked lately but debian works (more or
>less) on i86, alpha, sparc, arm and I think there is even a 68k project.
>
>But as I have no sparc, there is no debian package of CMUCL for sparc.
>
>There is however a normal tar.gz package at www.cons.org, IIRC.
>
>>QUESTION: "the debs.": What is that, "debs"?
>
>A .deb file is a debian package. It is actually a ar archive containing
>the software itself and a package description that takes care of
>dependencies, config files etc.
>
>(note: With "alien" you can convert between .deb, .rpm and .tgz files.)
>
>With apt-get you can now even do "apt-get install cmucl-small" and CMUCL
>will be downloaded and installed for you...
>
>Groetjes, Peter
>
>--
>It's logic Jim, but not as we know it. | pvaneynd@debian.org for pleasure,
>"God, root, what is difference?" - Pitr| pvaneynd@inthan.be for more pleasure!