[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A question

I responded to the remark about a "closed, Smalltalk-centric world" posted
by Greg Sullivan, so attributing this to me is, at best, difficult to see.

Michael T. Richter <mtr@ottawa.com> wrote in message
s34f4.1151$yO2.584@198.235.216.4">news:s34f4.1151$yO2.584@198.235.216.4...
> Stephen J. Guthrie <steve.guthrie@mantissa.com> wrote in message
> KJOe4.12820$Ce.296638@monger.newsread.com">news:KJOe4.12820$Ce.296638@monger.newsread.com...
> > Don't get me wrong - I'm looking for an excuse to use Dylan again.
>
> And yet you talk about a "closed, Dylan-centric world".
>
> > Most of all the stuff you mentioned that is available to Dylan is
> > also available to Java, Smalltalk, Eiffel, etc . .
>
> It turns out my Smalltalk experience is a tad out of date....  :-)  But
your
> own statement here belies both the "closed, Smalltalk-centric world" and
the
> "closed, Dylan-centric world" you cited.  Again it looks to me like you've
> made your decision in advance.
I think I told you I made a decision to buy Dylan, didn't I?  What happened
to Harlequin within a month or so of making that decision?  Sheesh, give me
a break.

> > [...] why not answer my question about the use(s) of Dylan, [...]
>
> It's a general-purpose programming language.  It can be used in any
capacity
> that a general-purpose programming language can be used in.  What is your
> actual question?
>
> > [...] particualarly what you are up to in the language.
>
> I'm currently writing a whole boat-load (only replace "boat" with a common
> scatalogical vulgarity:-) of utilities to assist me in one of my hobbies:
> wargaming.  For example, one of the games I play -- Starfire -- is very
> paperwork-intensive.  The amount of record-keeping required in that game
is
> nothing short of incredible.  I'm designing and building a suite of
> utilities to keep track of resources, construction, communications, fleet
> orders and movement (among about a dozen other things).
Wargaming? Sheesh.

> > As to Dylan-centric worlds, please illuminate me as to where Dylan
> > does exist and how it is used.
>
> I'm not working for Functional Objects, so I have no idea who their
customer
> base is and where they use their software.  Perhaps you should be talking
> FO instead?
You are right.  Let's not discuss this any further.

Thanks,

Steve

> --
> Michael T. Richter    <mtr@ottawa.com>    http://www.igs.net/~mtr/
> "get a life. its a plastic box with wires in it."
> -- Nadia Mizner <nadiam@onthenet.com.au> (in private correspondence)

Follow-Ups: References: