[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dylan Projects

What about getting into the 21st century and offering really good people the
opportunity to work with you via telecommuting? Why require relocation? Face
time could be arranged, say, every 2-4 weeks, but most of the interaction
could occur over the Internet.

David McClain, Sr. Scientist
Raytheon Systems Co.
Tucson, AZ

Bruce Tobin <btobin@infinet.com> wrote in message
5oyo4.7259$0d4.62575@typhoon.columbus.rr.com">news:5oyo4.7259$0d4.62575@typhoon.columbus.rr.com...
> I've been having some discussions about technical recruiting with my boss.
> He's looking for ways to attract really top-flight developers to our
region
> (we're in Columbus, OH).   I suggested that one way to do this would be to
> promise people that a certain percentage of time could be devoted to
> projects in a language that has advanced features but marginal commercial
> viability.  He seemed quite receptive to the idea, and I'm wondering what
> folks on comp.lang.dylan think about this.  Would you relocate to work for
> company that promised you that, say, 20% of your time would be devoted to
> Dylan projects, or projects in some other language that you love but have
> trouble finding well-paid work in?  The rest of the time would probably be
> spent writing Java, doing high-level, language neutral design, or whatever
> else that's profitable and you're good at.
>
> It's not that we're cheap; our salaries our quite competitive with other
> consulting firms in our market (most of our customers are Fortune 500
firms
> or governments).  It's just that finding really talented people in this
part
> of the country is always a challenge.

Follow-Ups: References: