[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dylan Newbie just wanting to say hi.

Bruce Hoult wrote:

> > I've studied Java some, read
> > like 8-9 large java tutorials, etc., in hopes of learning enought to
> > create games, etc, when I stumblied upon Dylan.  I've tried to study
> > C++, for that matter C, but became very disillusioned with their
> > memory leaks, and source-code unreadiblity
>
> C++ is the best and most powerful language for experienced professionals
> that is in widespread use, but it's murder for those who are not yet
> experts in it.  It's what I choose when I have to do a real project that
> needs to be fast and small.

I must disagree. It's good for potential speed and efficieny but no
more. And while I might call myself an expert at it, or was at one time,
it was murder to me, too.

> > Now the only weakness I can
> > see in Dylan, is its lack of support by both the industry and its
> > small numbers of website, which makes it hard for a newbie like me to
> > find much in the ways of tutorials and studied guides.
>
> Hopefully that will change with time...

Yes, please, an industry-wide language that's fast and programmer
friendly..

> > if support continues to grow for Dylan, I'm sure it will become,
> > in a short time, a true choice for the many newbie as well as
> > experience programmers, out there who want to use something as stable,
> > flexible and powerful as Dylan.
>
> That's certainly what we all think and hope here!

Certainly. How can exposure for dylan be increased? I started learning
dylan but only had a couple of weeks before a contract came in, and had
to put it aside. I will definitely return to it, but in the meantime I'm
slightly concerned by the lack of publicity about it. Everything seems a
bit quiet, and that bothers me. I'd love to do something to help but at
the moment it's delphi for me probably for the next few months.

jt

Follow-Ups: References: