[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dylan Newbie just wanting to say hi.

jt wrote:

> Bruce Hoult wrote:
>
> > C++ is the best and most powerful language for experienced professionals
> > that is in widespread use, but it's murder for those who are not yet
> > experts in it.  It's what I choose when I have to do a real project that
> > needs to be fast and small.
>
> I must disagree. It's good for potential speed and efficieny but no
> more. And while I might call myself an expert at it, or was at one time,
> it was murder to me, too.

I'm being paid to C++ at the moment, down from Java. I'd forgotten what it
was like writing 2 files for every class (in Dylan it's 2 extra for every
library), allocating constants separately from declaring them, worrying about
allocation order, keeping prototypes and declarations in synch, worrying
about what should be virtual and inline,  and generally programming at a
crawl.
Once the code compiles, a little voice at the back of my head reminds me that
C++ isn't fast (vTables, STL, dynamic type coercion), or standard (ARM,
C++9?, gcc, VC++?). For my own projects, and the open source I work with, I
use the fast, industry-standard C programming language (I'm switching to
Dylan for my own stuff at the moment).

> I will definitely return to it, but in the meantime I'm
> slightly concerned by the lack of publicity about it [Dylan]. Everything
> seems a
> bit quiet, and that bothers me.

Things are picking up again with the build up to FD 2.0, activity on the
Gwydion front and the recent increase in traffic on this list. You can help
make some noise: any learning/applying Dylan questions you have just ask
away.

- Rob.

Follow-Ups: References: