[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Char To ASCII

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:45:03 -0500 (EST), Hugh Greene <q@tardis.ed.ac.uk> said:
> Note that, although this is probably portable across all current
> implementations, there's no *DRM-conformant* way to do this.  The
> DRM specifies that methods from <character> to <integer> and back
> exist but leave the behaviour undefined: they could use, say, EBCDIC
> and still be compliant ;-) Dylan really needs a better story about
> characters, particularly Unicode ...
[snip]

After a hiatus caused by a new job, I'm finally back to working on GD,
specifically its Unicode and other i18n support.

I'm going back over an exchange I had with Kim Barrett a long while
back concerning the original design goals for including Unicode in
Dylan.

Before Harlequin shut down I had some discussions with Jonathan
Bachrach about the expansion of the char type in Harlequin Dylan ---
hopefully I'll be able to start those up again as well.

          -tree

--
Tom Emerson, tree@tiac.net
http://www.tiac.net/users/tree