[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Lambda Nature

In article <LOiP4.1385$CL3.1074@198.235.216.4>,
Michael T. Richter <mtr@ottawa.com> wrote:
>Barry Margolin <barmar@genuity.net> wrote in message
>MAhP4.37$_B6.737@burlma1-snr2">news:MAhP4.37$_B6.737@burlma1-snr2...
>> The success of Unix, Windows, and C/C++ rather than MacOS
>> and Lisp are examples of the "worse is better" philosophy.
>
>MacOS isn't exactly an example to hold up as "better is better".  It's just
>as bogus as any other GUI API that I've seen.  (I haven't looked into BeOS'
>GUI stuff yet, so I'm holding out some hope of finding a clean, consistent,
>powerful GUI API.)

My respect is for the underlying Macintosh OS architecture.  It's very well
modularized, and Apple did a good job providing both high-level interfaces
for most applications and a reasonable number of low-level hooks where
needed.  The API to the GUI itself has some warts, but it's not too bad.

Also, I was trying to use an example that most people could relate to.
Personally, I consider Multics and Genera much better, but most readers
would not know enough about them to understand what's so great about them.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA