[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Thanks for your reply Bruce

Hugh Greene wrote:

> you can instantiate C++ classes from Eiffel and even create Eiffel wrapper
> classes.

Cool. How on Earth does it do that?

> If you go the COM route, FunDev can automatically generate the Dylan
> interface code.  There's a not-quite-finished project called "Pidgin",
> which will be available with FunDev and d2c, to do the same for C.  At the
> moment you have to translate the relevant C header file to Dylan C-FFI
> definitions yourself.

Gwydion has the "Melange" C interface generator: interfaces to OpenGL and various
UNIX libraries have been generated using it, but it will be phased out in favour
of Pidgin when that's finished. It is not compatible with FD.

> > I am not asking for a direct translation of C++ to Dylan in human readable
> > form, just the same thing as the D2C, a compilation of a C++ project with
> > headers etc. to a useable module that can be easily called and used in Dylan
> > without having to manually code 100+ header files into Dylan equivalents.
>
> Well, that isn't quite what D2C does (automatically make a C project
> accessible from Dylan) -- as I've said, what you want for that is the
> half-written "Pidgin" tool.  AFAIK, FunDev and the Gwydion volunteers are
> co-operating on getting that finished but I don't know if it's actively
> being worked on right now.  Both groups are eager to please Dylan users,
> though, so if enough people ask for it (and/or offer development skills
> :-) it could be pushed up the priority list, I'm sure.

I volunteered to work on Pidgin, but it proved to be outside my area of
competence so I'm working on Gwydion's version of DUIM instead. :-(
I think Pidgin still needs volunteers and it's very clean code to work with, so
if anyone wants to take a look it's included with the current Gwydion Dylan
release in the tools directory (along with Melange).

As an aside, there's an old project in the tools folder called "lisp2dylan" (or
something) that translates a limited subset of Lisp to Dylan. It's fossilized but
may be of interest to some people.

- Rob.

--
Rob Myers  -  robm@tdv.com         The Digital Village  -  www.tdv.com
MacOS wonderfulness for The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Game.