[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: C++ integration, again. I found another language besides Eiffel

On Tue, 9 May 2000 00:30:01 -0400 (EDT), "Shawn" <shawn@anarchy-arts.com>
wrote:

> Fortunately this is indeed a possibility: CLOS works with C++.

Hi Shawn,

I think the above is just marketing blurb from Franz's website. They are just
saying that you _can_ wrap up C++ code with CLOS, but you probably have to do a
lot of the work yourself either via C "extern", COM, or CORBA. I don't see any
evidence of specifically-C++ interfacing technology. (Incidentally, Franz use
CLOS when they really mean Common Lisp to avoid using the L-word and
frightening people.)

Also, I think ICAD are ORBLink customers so they may be integrating C++ and
CLOS via CORBA. That's just a guess though.

Xanalys (nee Harlequin) actually used to have C++-parsing and CLOS-modeling
technology but it was retired because: not many customers used it, the
differences between the C++ and CLOS object models were too large to cover
completely, and the implementation was too hard to maintain in the presence of
multiple evolving C++ compilers. Maybe it was just the MOP-heavy approach that
was used.

Ironically, an ex-Lisp company called ILOG helped develop a Java-C++
integration technology called "Twin Peaks" but I don't know very much about
that and it seems to have gone very quiet now. In general people seem to prefer
generic OO component integration technology like COM and CORBA rather than
something specific for one pair of languages.

__Jason

http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp

Follow-Ups: References: