[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

AW: promoting dylan

	[marc]
	But only when FO joins this plattform too, enought momentum will be
generated (hopefully) to
	motivate developers to switch from java to dylan, which is not easy
because of the many add-on libraries
	shipped with the jdk's nowadays (distribution, internationalization,
benas etc. etc.). Are there any
	plans to build a j-ffi for Dylan to use those resources?

> > - Domain Specific Languages
>
> Do you have any references or examples for this? It sounds interesting.
	[marc]
	Interesting, yes, but no big deal. Any set of macros written for
some specific
	domain create a domain-specific-language-extension to dylan. Depends
upon
	how much you (as domain-programmer) look behind and outside of this
set
	of macros.

> > - Aspect oriented Programming:
>
> Again, do you have references / examples for this?
	[marc]
	Take a look at http://www.aspectj.org for some very good slides
	documentation and examples (java though:-(

> > (BTW, whats the best way to code before and after methods in Dylan?).
>
> Like before and after methods in Lisp? I don't fully remember the
> symantics.
> But I'm sure someone else will, especially if you post an example. :-)
	[marc]
	Yes, like in CLOS. Dylan has no MOP so this might become difficult
	realize.

	As an example for AOP (and before and after methods) suppose you
want
	to temporarily add tracing to a set of methods.

	define protocol <<some-protocol>> (<<protocol>>)
	    setters, getters, functions etc...
	end protocol <<some-protocol>>;

	define aspect <<some-tracing>> (<<aspect>>)
	    slot log :: <stream>;
	    before-all-methods-in  <<some-protocol>> do
	        format(log, "entering %=\n", get-current-method-name());
	    end;
	    after-all-methods-in <<some-protocol>> do
	        format(log, "leaving %=", get-current-method-name());
	    end;
	end aspect <<some-tracing>>;

	[marc]  Any ideas?

> - Rob.