[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: AW: promoting dylan

"Schlichte, Marc, MTC-DTM, MSCHL" wrote:

>         But only when FO joins this plattform too, enought momentum will be
> generated (hopefully) to motivate developers to switch from java to dylan,
> which is not easy

I'd absolutely love to use Fun-Dev on MacOS X, I think it's the perfect
platform to make an impression and sell lots of software on, but I understand
why Fun-O are turning to the established and respected UNIX platform next.
Please don't discount Gwydion Dylan just because it's Open Source, you can use
OpenGL, MySQL, Sockets, the UNIX and Mac APIs, HTML/CGI and other industrial
strength, real-world APIs from Gwydion Dylan. More are being added all the
time, and on MacOS we now have an IDE to do this all in.

> because of the many add-on libraries shipped with the jdk's nowadays
> (distribution, internationalization,
> benas etc. etc.). Are there any plans to build a j-ffi for Dylan to use those
> resources?

No. Most operating systems provide internationalization, XML, component
architectures, etc.  Java 2 is like a mini OS in this respect, with its own
system programming language. With Apple, GNU, the LINUX community and others
providing open source code that GD can use, it makes more sense for Dylan to
interface to these rather than to C++--.

- Rob.

--
Rob Myers  -  robm@tdv.com         The Digital Village  -  www.tdv.com
MacOS wonderfulness for The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Game.