[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Results: finished teaching one Dylan course

"A New Approach to Object Oriented Programming" course finished May 10,
2000 at the Northern Virginia Community College, U.S.A. with excellent
reviews from the students.

The students (with the exception of a senior citizen auditing the
course) were professional programmers (mostly C/C++ programmers, but
one Smalltalk one).  Their primary goals were 1) to learn more about
object oriented programming in general, 2) to learn about the
functional programming style, and 3) to learn about multimethods.

Over 5 sessions of 4 hours each, the students learned: the basics of
Dylan syntax; using, then creating, objects; creating generic functions
and multimethods; and the basics of macros (functional, statement, and
defining).  In the final session, each student presented a final
project.  They were: a symbolic equation manipulator, Karel++
(the "smart" robot), an expert system that determined/inferred blood
type based on parent or child types, and the card game "War".  I was
particularly pleased at how quickly the students grasped the
fundamentals of the language, as demonstrated by the advanced coding
techniques used to complete their projects.

I will teach this course again July 20, 2000 under the
title:  "Practical Object Oriented Programming".  See
http://www.geocities.com/oop_guru for this and other programming
courses I offer.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.