[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Students/techniques

And dauclair@hotmail.com writes:
 -
 - > Does anyone have experience with less experienced programmers?  C++
 - > hackers already know how to battle with a complex language...
 -
 - In most my classes that I teach, I often get a student who is very much
 - less experienced than the rest.

I agree completely.  My point was more towards the differences between
learning Dylan as an additional language v. learning it as a first (or
early) language.  I've found people have much different issues depending
on what baggage they already have.  For someone else's cute example, see
the wonderful Perl-for-COBOLers story under www.perl.com...

The baggage loads I'd expect from semi-seasoned C++ programmers ares 1)
don't trust the compiler, and 2) objects are packages of stuff (contain
methods, too).  I'm fishing for examples that the Dylan / CLOS-style
object systems are still accessible to those people.  I'm also fishing
for any actual evidence that they're more accessible to beginners.

Jason

Follow-Ups: References: