[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A few questions about Dylan.

Lately I've been going around looking at various scripting languages
trying to find one to suit my purposes.
I've stumbled across Dylan and have a few questions about it.

1) Is Dylan a good "scripting language".
By this I mean is it possible to throw off a few short programs
in a short period of time.
I don't necessarily think that being a scripting language is
necessary, but I think that you won't see many new languages
suceed if they are not. It's a way of handling the learning curve.
Especially if you are not sure that you intend on sticking with the
language.
2) What is the learning curve.
I used to use lisp, so it might be shortened.
3) Is there an emacs mode for Dylan.
A language isn't ready for prime time unless it has an emacs mode.
4) I intend to release some of the programs I write under an open
source/GPL license, aside from releasing the source code ( which does
no good to someone who does not have the compiler ), how hard is it to
*legally* distribute precompiled binaries ( keep in mind, I'm giving
this stuff away I don't keep track of who uses it or buy runtime
licenses ).