[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DUIM font question

Yes it does.   And I found some other information from that great place to
experiment--the DUIM GUI test suite.  I copied (err... I mean modelled) some
code from there and made a simple frame in the playground that put up the
choose-font dialog.   I stored the results from that dialog into a frame
slot--a vector--and paused the application to look at the contents each time
I chose a new font.  Lo and behold, I saw that the "font" returned from the
choose-font dialog is actually a <text-style> and that the text style has a
text-style-name slot which isn't mentioned in the documentation anywhere.
Of course, that slot holds the font name.  So, now that I see that you can
do all this,  I'll want to stick with the portable text styles provided by
DUIM by default.   It seems obvious that one computer may have Arial, 12,
semi-bold, but another one won't.  And, although I will stick with the
portable DUIM styles,  I think I'll choose a larger size.  My eyes are even
worse than they used to be.

I assume that the portable DUIM text styles would even translate nicely to
the next platform that FD is released on.  That would be ....?  Just
kidding, but my vote would be Linux.

Scott McKay <swm@mediaone.net> wrote in message
68z65.6786$Zr5.722240@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net">news:68z65.6786$Zr5.722240@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net...

> johncwhi@my-deja.com wrote in message <8jdfib$md8$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >How would you --or is it even possible--select a Windows-specific font
> >in DUIM for a text field or editor?  The choices offered by the
> ><text-style> class, since it is device independent, don't include the
> >Windows fonts.   And I don't fathom any way to use the <device-font>
> >subclass.  Thanks for any help.
>

> I tried this in the Playground and it worked fine for me:
>
> contain(make(<text-field>,
>                          text-style: make-text-style(#"fix", #f, #"bold",
> #"roman", #"normal"),
>                          value: "hello"));

Follow-Ups: References: