[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why I don't use Dylan

I use Dolphin Smalltalk for Win32 programming also. I like Smalltalk
I think it is a cool language. That said, I followed the same course as you
did.
I downloaded Harlequin Dylan 1 and when I saw Functional Objects I
downloaded the free version. I was very disappointed when I tried to
compile some of the examples, but I was still interested in seeing what
it was all about so I went back to the website and did a little more
reading.
I downloaded the Professional Combo Pack and contacte Functional
Objects for an unlock code. (You'll have some issues if you do download
and install the free version and then get one of the 30-day evals).
I installed the whole set of software and docs.

I must admit that it is a complete package. The price is reasonable.
The language seems complete and well thought out. It takes a little
getting used to because instead of providing many different ways
to get something done, Dylan gives you one process that is used to
do many different things. The libraries seem to have alot of functionality
included. Object orientated programming is done a little different but it
kind of grows on you after a while.

It won't replace Smalltalk in the near future, but it is certainly worth
a look. Free evaluations allow you to try before you buy and if you
don't like it, remove it and move on.

Give it another look.

Tim
<tejavu@my-deja.com> wrote in message 8je1hp$53j$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8je1hp$53j$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> I use Dolphin Smalltalk for Win32 programming, but have been browsing
> in my spare time for something better.  Dolphin has been improving a
> lot over the past couple of years, and I like it more and more, so I'm
> spending less and less time browsing for something better.  Dylan
> seemed very interesting, and I downloaded version 1 from Harlequin
> sometime in the past.  But I was disappointed at how slowly it compiled
> and how big the dll's needed by the executable were.  More recently, I
> downloaded version 2 from F.O. and started to give it a try, by
> following the examples and/or tutorials.  I started at the beginning,
> where it suggested starting with the Reversi example.  But when I went
> there, it said something to the effect that I had to pay money for
> libraries before I could proceed with that.  But since I'm just
> browsing for something better than Smalltalk, I'm not ready to pay
> money for it yet.  Especially since Smalltalk keeps improving, and it
> starts to seem like I will get the best by simply staying with
> Smalltalk while it continues to improve.
>
> And I think Dylan may gradually fade away, because it might not have
> enough support to ever get critical mass.  Critical mass is what makes
> Java useful in spite of how bad a language it is.  It causes the
> vendors to compete against each other to provide the best tools at the
> lowest prices, and the biggest and most functional libraries.
>
> It's sad, because Dylan seemed almost like the ultimate programming
> language, and I had high hopes for it.  It's too bad the best
> programming language designers tend to suck so badly at promoting their
> products.
>
> But even though I have lost a lot of my interest in Dylan, I still do
> discuss it sometimes, and sometimes suggest to other programmers that
> it might be worth trying, especially if they're willing to pay money to
> try it.  One thing I would like to know is how well it does in
> benchmarks against LispWorks, because that question came up in a recent
> discussion.
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Follow-Ups: References: