[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DUIM font question

Hugh Greene wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, John Whittaker wrote:
> > I assume that the portable DUIM text styles would even translate nicely to
> > the next platform that FD is released on. ...
>
> That's certainly the idea, AFAIK.  I see no reason why the font-name slot
> couldn't have some use on other platforms, too, though I'm not at all
> confident a name like "Arial" would work across platforms, given what X
> font names look like.  Like I say, I added that in a hurry -- I'd've liked
> to have come up with a model for named slots which I believed was more
> likely to be portable :-)

Arial gets everywhere. IE4 instaled it on my Mac no matter how much I begged it
not to. However, even Times has slightly different names on some platforms, so
names aren't cross platform, although on the same platform they're very useful
and there tend to be equivalents for any named font on any given platform.

> > ...  That would be ....?  Just kidding, but my vote would be Linux.
>
> Could be, who knows?  Actually, there's already been a press release on
> the Fun-O website which mentions alpha-testing of bits of Fun-D on "Unix"
> <http://www.fun-o.com/news/fundev2-release.phtml>.  Then again, since the
> DUIM front-end is open-source, you might see DUIM working with Gwydion's
> d2c some day, who knows? :-)

We (Gwydion) are working on it. I've taken some time off from DUIM to work on
the MacOS X port of d2c, which has been almost done for a week or two now. :-)
Before that I checked in a version of the public sources of DUIM converted to
compile (not run!) with d2c. Now all we need are the platform-specific backend
implementations and we're away. :-)

- Rob.

--
Rob Myers  -  robm@h2g2.com         H2G2  -  http://www.h2g2.com/
"Don't talk to sociologists. Social practice has no sociological content."A&L