[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: C# is not Dylan (was: Re: C# : The new language from M$)

Scott Ribe wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 30, 2000, David Bakhash <cadet@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> So, given that you must make a choice, and given that you'd like Dylan to
> become popular, which group do you deprive of their comfortable syntax?
> The group that is terrified of anything that looks too different? Or the
> group that can see beyond the surface and understand what a language
> really offers?

The oddest thing about this is that "you" ended up "depriving" _both_.
A C/C++ hack is _never_ going to go with "pascal-ish" syntax.  Never.
And the Lisp folks won't go for it because, frankly, it is
fundamentally broken with respect to macros.

> made that a much more difficult thing to do. With Sun marketing cranking
> out lies, backed by millions of $, faster than they can be debunked,

True.  But they also understood if you are going after popularity you
need to cozy up to the same broken, butt/bug-ugly syntax that caters
to the infantilism of the C crowd.

/Jon

--
Jon Anthony
Synquiry Technologies, Ltd. Belmont, MA 02478, 617.484.3383

Follow-Ups: References: