[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: C# is not Dylan (was: Re: C# : The new language from M$)

Johan Kullstam <kullstam@ne.mediaone.net> writes:

> the parens take up very little room and don't get in your way.  notice
> how much more descriptive words lisp allows compared to the required
> boilerplate of C/C++.  with-open-file only looks long compared to
> fopen, but the former does *so much more*.
>
> in general, i find that lisp programs are *much* shorter and more
> concise than in other languages.  this is least apparent with short
> program stumps like in the above post.  the gap is very wide once you
> program anything of even modest size.

This example is especially good.  My main programming language for
some time was (and still is, but not by choice) Java, and although its
exception handling does help localize errors and error checking, I
always hated its verbosity and seeming kludginess.  Often, it seemed
like every tenth line was either a try or a catch.

Things such as with-open-file almost frightened me at first; they
seemed too good to be true.  And then I needed to use unwind-protect
in some of my own code.  Wow.  I suspect I haven't even scratched the
surface yet, but Lisp's way of doing things is so much nicer to work
with.

--
vsync
http://quadium.net/ - last updated Fri Jun 30 22:55:16 MDT 2000