[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: C# is not Dylan (was: Re: C# : The new language from M$)

Jens Kilian <Jens_Kilian@agilent.com> wrote:
> "Michael T. Richter" <mtr@ottawa.com> writes:
> > That's the first time I've seen someone describe a profusion of parentheses
> > as "clean".
>
> Hint: Write down a grammar for Lisp.  Write down a grammar for Dylan (or C,
> or C++, etc.).  Compare their sizes.

FTR, I disagree with Michael, but your response doesn't have the
answer you apparently think it does: Dylan is the smallest of all of
these -- Dylan plus its special forms is substantially less complex
than Common Lisp and its special forms.

Now to profit maximally from this observation, I recommend comparing
the two with a critical eye, keeping in mind that both languages were
designed by smart and knowledgeable people. I learned a lot from this
very exercise; the two languages are close enough in design space that
their differences reveal a lot about the fine structure of language
design. (Haskell vs.  ML is another good pairing. I haven't found
anything to compare Smalltalk to yet, though.)

Neel

Follow-Ups: References: