[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: C# is not Dylan (was: Re: C# : The new language from M$)

"Michael T. Richter" wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message
> m2zoo0y4f0.fsf@gododdin.internal.jasmine.org.uk">news:m2zoo0y4f0.fsf@gododdin.internal.jasmine.org.uk...
> >> That's the first time I've seen someone describe a profusion of
> >> parentheses as "clean".
>
> > Well, then, look again. LISP syntax results from the fact that LISP as
> > printed is a very nearly direct representation of the structures that
> > are created in the machine as it is read.
>
> But, silly me, I've always thought the point of automation was to make *MY*
> life easier, not the machine's.

It does make the programmer's job easier when he has to think about
transforming source code, or think about exactly how the machine
is interpreting this code.  Because there's major transformation
going on ( lisp code is almost an abstract syntax tree itself ) it can
be very obvious what is happening.

dave