[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why I don't use Dylan

Bruce Hoult wrote:
> Anyway, the gist is that I don't know what the Obj-C runtime is like.
> My understanding from early NeXT days was that the compiler just gathers
> up those Smalltalk-style method selector names into a string, looks them
> up in a table to find a numeric selector ID, and adds that as the first
> argument to a call to a global "dispatch" function, using a standard C
> function call.

AFAIK, there's some speed-improving cacheing of id's, but the C calls
are still there. This should make it easy to glue d2c to Objective-C,
and indeed allow anything that can call C code to call Objective-C. The
same can't be said for C++ (name mangling) or Java (name manging and
type mapping).
So calling Cocoa or OpenStep code from Dylan should be achievable
without too much hacking.

- Rob.

--
Rob Myers - http://www.robmyers.org/   H2G2 - http://www.h2g2.com/
MacOS wonderfulness for The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Game.

Follow-Ups: References: