[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: jvm

In article <B5A34D1A.43F1%robm@h2g2.com>, Rob Myers <robm@h2g2.com>
wrote:

> I think there's some documentation on the old mit-ai site about compiling
> Dylan for Java, but the JVM lacks multimethod support and other good
> stuff, so Dylan probably wouldn't compile optimally for the JVM.

That's a *big* problem for a Mindy-style (or javac-style) compiler, but
it's not such a big deal if you're retargetting d2c.  GF dispatch is
slow even on real CPUs so the compiler tries pretty hard to avoid it
whenever possible -- and the language design tries to help.  If you use
something like the GF dispatch algorithm in the recent Cecil/Vortex
paper then you're doing GF dispatch by using an optomised sequence of
single-argument dispatches, which *would* map onto what's in the jvm
fairly well.

-- Bruce

Follow-Ups: References: