[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: simple method dispatch question

Lieven Marchand mal@bewoner.dma.be on  2000-11-11 09:15 wrote:

> CLOS has retained the PROGN method combination.

Thanks for the clarification.  It has been a while since I used CLOS.

> Are there any papers available on how much use Dylan compilers can
> make of this extra leeway in comparison to CLOS? I know of the work of
> the Cecil people and of Baker's CLOStrophobia paper.

I don't know of any.  I do know that a design goal of Dylan was not to pay
for features you don't use, but not to achieve that goal by simply leaving
out all features ;-).  I also recall that the Functional Objects (nee
Harlequin) Dylan has a MOP internally that is used to achieve some
efficiencies, but which is not exposed (but then, neither is CLOS).