[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: simple method dispatch question

"Michael Schuerig" <schuerig@acm.org> wrote in message
1ejy151.5l75w18p9hvN%schuerig@acm.org">news:1ejy151.5l75w18p9hvN%schuerig@acm.org...
>>> What makes dispatch on singleton arguments attractive, in
>>> my view, is that extensions are unlikely to affect existing
>>> logic.

>> That's exactly what I found with my trial run using Bruce's trick
>> -- with the proviso that the relevant methods had to be placed in
>> some kind of rational order.

> Do you, or anyone, have suggestions how an ideal IDE would do this job?

I have no idea.  I'm not even certain that what you seek is possible.  The
"rational order" would very much depend on problem domain and overall
architecture.  The "rational order" for a closed VM would be very different
from that of a GUI (or even an extensible VM).  The best that a GUI could
hope to offer is good browsing tools so that when the inevitable code
confusion begins it can be ended with as little effort as possible.