[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mac OS X presents an opportunity for Dylan

On 11/30/00 11:27 AM, the artist formerly known as Rob Myers,
(robm@onetel.net.uk), issued a press release stating:

> As for IB support, I don't know exactly what you're after. Dragging & dropping
> of Dylan classes? The new Carbon Interfaces can handle .nibs, so we can use IB
> stuff from Dylan under Carbon.

I guess I was referring to Dylan bindings/interfaces for the Cocoa/Next
frameworks with which IB dovetails nicely. I was just thinking that Dylan
*with* Cocoa could steal the show. As it stands now, you really need to be
using Objective-C or Java if you want true Cocoa integration. If Dylan could
get in there, it could prove decisive. After all, for many, if not most,
going to Cocoa will mean using a new language in any event (either Java, or
Objective-C) so this could be a strategic opportunity to get people to
switch to Dylan if handled properly.

BTW, I was not in any way critcizing Gabor's hard work or responsiveness.
Far from it - I've submitted problems to him, and had responses *within the
hour*, sometimes several in one day. I think the problems lie with
Codewarrior which is just plain buggy under MacOS X PB. As I said, things
work just fine under MacOS 9.04, the CW Dylan plug-in included.

I just think that the handwriting is on the wall - free tools will be most
useful under a free IDE, and Project Builder is almost certain to be Apple's
free IDE for MacOS X (much as MPW is now for Classic). I can't imagine that
they would revoke it's free status - that would be tantamount to suicide.
Apple needs as many new developers as possible interested in MacOS X, and
Cocoa in particular. PB and IB will continue to be free. If Cocoa were
seamlessly integrated with Dylan, Dylan could gain huge mind/marketshare on
the Mac platform, simply because most developers (who will be coming from
C/C++) will have to switch languages in any case.

--

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.
raffael@mediaone.net

Follow-Ups: References: