[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mac OS X presents an opportunity for Dylan

Raffael Cavallaro <raffael@mediaone.net> wrote:

> If Cocoa were
> seamlessly integrated with Dylan, Dylan could gain huge mind/marketshare on
> the Mac platform, simply because most developers (who will be coming from
> C/C++) will have to switch languages in any case.

I don't see this happening -- for technical reasons. The Openstep
frameworks are wedded to a Smalltalk/Objective-C message passing OO
style. Apple is already jumping through hoops to fit them onto Java: In
Java there simply are no categories, selectors, and you can't send
arbitrary messages to an object.

It might be possible to adapt Cocoa to Dylan. I doubt that it'd feel
natural.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig