[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which language for me ?

On 28 Dec 2000 07:15:51 +0100, Friedrich Dominicus
<frido@q-software-solutions.com> wrote:

>israel raj thomas <israelt@optushome.com.au> writes:
>
>> Zeno <zenem@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote:
>> >Is Dylan becoming more popular or less popular?
>> >I have recently had trials and tribulations with Eiffel, Lisp, and Oz.
>> >I was looking for something Lisp-like.
>
>If you want to have a Lisp why don't you take Common Lisp?

I have looked into Lisp at a few times in the past.  Each time I have
posted questions over the years in comp.lang.lisp, some sort of war
has erupted.  The Lisp proponents there seem to abhor MS Windows and
all other languages with religious fervor since Lisp can do everything
-- but what I need to write are programs that run under Windows and
interface with code written in other languages.  I also find the
prices of commercial-quality systems prohibitive, in particular the
royalty price for seats when selling commercial software is not at all
welcome.  Mostly, though, the replies to (seemingly) every post I have
made in comp.lang.lisp left a sour taste in my mouth.

Thank you very much for the suggestion, though.  Sometimes I miss the
obvious :-).

- Zeno