[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Objective C bridge

On Friday, March 9, 2001, at 09:30 AM, Bruce Hoult wrote:

> In article <d_voss-1F0305.00491909032001@news.uswest.net>, Dustin Voss
> <d_voss@uswest.net> wrote:
> I'm only trying to add minimal Obj C support. It can be improved later,
> but I'm itching for results and don't feel capable of handling the whole
> thing right off. I'm new at this. Here's what I'm aiming for:

I've done some theoretical work on this. Email me off-list and I'll see what I've got.
Apple's documents on the Java/Objective-C bridge are required reading for this sort of thing.
I'm still convinced it's possible to inline Objective-C syntax into Dylan with some careful macrology. :-)

> > In the meantime, I'm looking for information on Gwydion Dylan's support
> > for C callback functions. I checked, but couldn't find anything, at
> > www.gwydiondylan.org and the Deja Google archives.
>
> d2c has no problem calling C functions.  It can even wrap up a Dylan
> function into a closure that can be passed to C code and called from
> there.

The Functional Objects C-FFI for Gwydion Dylan is progressing again. It might be worth concentrating on the Objective-C side of the equation whilst it's finished off. C-FFI is better than melange's C integration.

- Rob.

--
Rob Myers - http://www.robmyers.org/dylan
"The idea behind Dylan-to offer a range of dynamism appropriate to each piece of an application-feels right, and after using Dylan you will become frustrated with C++ and Java." - Software Development Magazine.