[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Can one do the following in dylan?

Samuele Pedroni <pedroni@inf.ethz.ch> writes:

> I'm a bit lost, is that a yes or a no answer. Can I load those dll
> programatically at runtime... is there a dynamic-load function that
> can load a textually referred dll.

With Functional Developer, yes. Use LoadLibrary to load the .dll. This
will add any methods to existing generic functions, etc. You can then
use features of that library.

> Can one write a servlet server in dylan? having both the servlets
> and the server being written in dylan and working together at dylan
> level, not at some lower level (COM or other components framework).
> It should be possible to compile servlets separately from the server
> which should meet (link with) them lately at runtime without being
> aware of them at its compilation time.

Yes. Not in 'DRM Dylan' but given dynamically loadable libraries as
per the way Functional Developer uses DLL's you can. I do exactly this
in a few projects. I have an abstract base class with implementations
in DLL's. At run time, these DLL's are loaded, as request from an
initialisation file, or selected by the user, and they then
participate in the application. The only non-DRM-dylan construct used
is the LoadLibrary call which loads the .dll given as a filename.

> What's the situation with dylan?

I've given the situation with Functional Developer, a Dylan
development system.

Chris.
--
http://www.double.co.nz/dylan