[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Can one do the following in dylan?

-----Original Message-----
From: Samuele Pedroni <pedroni@inf.ethz.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.dylan
Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: Can one do the following in dylan?

>Let be concrete with an example.
>
>Can one write a servlet server in dylan? having both the servlets and
>the server being written in dylan and working together at dylan level,
>not at some lower level (COM or other components framework).
>It should be possible to compile servlets separately from the server
>which should meet (link with) them lately at runtime without being
>aware of them at its compilation time.

You may well be asking a more general question than this,
but I would like to say something directly to the question
about writing a servlet server.

As far as I can tell, most industrial strength servlet engines
prefer, for performance reasons, to load *all* of the servlets
for a "web site" in one go, from a .{j,w,s,...}ar file.  That is,
they work better if you use one of the kludgy out-of-language
library compilation models.  If I were writing a servlet server
in Dylan, I would do the same -- provide a servlet-authoring
framework, and then just have people use it just like any
Dylan library.

Fun-O developer would make an interesting servlet container,
though, wouldn't it, because it provides class loading (via
incremental redefinition).

Just my two cents.