[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Good book on Dylan?

"Raffael Cavallaro" <raffael@mediaone.net> wrote in message
news:200104011818.OAA16279@life.ai.mit.edu...

> On Sunday, April 1, 2001, at 01:45 PM, Mark Jordan wrote:
>
> > Visibility can't do any harm, so why not have a public newsgroup?
> > I personally don't like private mailing lists as they tend to flood my
> > inbox with junk :-)
>
> There is a public newsgroup which mirrors all of the info-dylan
> messages - comp.lang.dylan. However, I'm not sure if posts to c.l.d also
> get sent to the info-dylan list or not.

Hello Raffael,
Actually what you really need is cross-pollination with the
C/C++/Java forums.

The best way to get new users would be to participate in those
newsgroups and casually mention that Dylan does this better,
drop a few references to the DRM etc. Don't you think?

Also go to places like comp.object where there's currently a
big discussion on static vs dynamic languages. Then you could
talk about Dylan and how it offers the best of both worlds.
This is a great opportunity to spread the gospel, do it now! :-)

As a C++ programmer for many years, I'd never even heard of
Dylan. It was only when I got so bogged down with C++ in trying
to implement my designs that I started looking for an alternative.
I've only skim read the DRM, and I'm a big fan already :-)

I'm sure there would be many C++ programmers like me
who would switch at the drop of a hat if they could find
something better than C++.  IMO C# and Java are a step
backwards, so I refused to use them. Eiffel looks OK but
the lack of overloading put me off. The other candidate
I am seriously considering is ADA95, but I think I like Dylan
better.

Cheers,
Mark.