[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Are there any .NET possibilities/implications for Dylan/Functional Developer?

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:30:02 -0400 (EDT), raj <israelrt@optushome.com.au>
wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 03:06:44 GMT, Israel@lith.com (Israel) wrote:
>

> >Is Dylan still alive?  It seems that a lot of the sites I go to have a
> >ton of dead links and a lot of places haven't been updated at all this
> >year.  I'm just curious.  I've been looking around for a new
> >programming language and since it will be mostly a hobby and not a
> >career, I'm not too terribly tied down to using a more traditional
> >language like C++.  However, I don't want to adopt something and be
> >left with a dusty bin of old and forgotten technology.
>
> Try Scheme and SICP.
> The entire text of SICP and videos of Abelson and Sussman's lectures
> are available on line.

Scheme is good too and it was another important influence on Dylan. In fact
Dylan's basic semantics are more Scheme-like than anything else. Dylan even
adopts Scheme conventions for destructive operations "!" and predicates "?"
and booleans "#f" "#t".

Dylan is arguably:

	Scheme-ish semantics ( single namespace, some conventions )
	Common Lisp-ish object system ( generic functions, MI, etc )
	Pascal-ish syntax ( infix, begin/end )
	Smalltalk-ish philosophy ( OOP all the way )

__Jason

Follow-Ups: References: