[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Are there any .NET possibilities/implications for Dylan/Functional Developer?

"Jason Trenouth" <jason.trenouth@globalgraphics.com> wrote in message
hmn0jt4coe1pd47pq1170754jps9kfkeph@4ax.com">news:hmn0jt4coe1pd47pq1170754jps9kfkeph@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:45:02 -0400 (EDT), "Michael T. Richter"
> <mtr@ottawa.com> wrote:
>
> > They could ask.  I haven't commented on .NET at all because my assumption,
> > when dealing with most vendors, is if they're not talking about it they're
> > not doing it.
>
> Well, I'll ask on behalf of Fun'O. All those interested in a .NET version
> of Dylan speak now.

Hi Jason,
Personally I see .NET as a layer of bloat I don't need right now.
I don't have any compelling application that needs to access .NET
web services, but I can't speak for others. It would be nice as an
option to have, but I won't cry if it's missing. I don't want to be
locked into that platform. I'd be more interested in an update to Fun'O
Dylan to fix bugs, improve optimisation, add up-to-date support for
Microsofts new XP OS, plus better unicode support.

I also heard that the .NET system doesn't support multiple
inheritance?  Not sure how true that is. Can anyone confirm?
It might be tricky mapping Dylan onto .NET, and I suspect you'd
end up with a crippled Dylan as a result.

Cheers,
Mark Jordan.