[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Microsoft linker problems

At 5:15 PM -0400 7/15/01, Chris Double wrote:
>Hi Stefan,
>
>I had a page which described where to get the linker at:
>
>   http://www.double.co.nz/dylan/tips/whichlinker.htm
>
>Unfortunately Microsoft have redesigned their site and the link to it
>has moved. Their SDK page is now at:
>
>   http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/
>
>It includes the linker and you can download it for free.

Unfortunately, Microsoft decided to remove the linker from the
Platform SDK as of the August 2000 edition of the SDK.  It's still
missing in the latest editions as well.  For now, the only way to get
the linker is to buy a copy of Visual C++ 6.0.

OK, the above isn't 100% accurate.  The current SDK includes a
pre-release of the development tools (i.e., C++ compiler, linker) for
64-bit (i.e., Itanium) development.  These pre-release tools can also
produce 32-bit executables and DLLs.  However, once Microsoft
releases a version of Visual C++ with 64-bit support, I'm sure
they'll remove the tools from the SDK.

I did a quick test of the 64-bit linker in the SDK and it appears to
be compatible with Functional Developer.  However, I have not tested
it rigorously enough to be certain that it is fully compatible.  In
other words, use it at your own risk.

To be absolutely safe, get a copy of Visual C++ 6.0.

   - Gary Palter,
     Functional Objects, Inc.