[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Functional Developer UNICODE support + source?

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:18:10 +0100, Rob Myers <robmyers@mac.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 25, 2001, at 12:30  pm, Mark Jordan wrote:
>
> > I'd ask for the rules, but the complex job of writing Dylan CFFI's and
> > no unicode has put me off using Dylan at all. What I really need is
> > a CPPFFI to interface to existing C++ class libraries.  Any ideas on
> > how this might be done?
>
> C++ compiler manufacturers would need to agree on common name mangling,
> vtable layout and exception handling conventions and they'd then all
> need to implement them. This would allow C++ code compiled with
> different versions of the same compiler, or C++ compilers from different
> vendors, to call C++ code that isn't statically compiled into the same
> compilation unit. It would then be relatively trivial to allow other
> languages to join the party.
> Gwydion Dylan was used on BeOS to call the BeOS C++ frameworks through C
> wrappers. This really is the only non-COM, non-magic way of calling C++
> code from *any* language.

BTW In the absence of such a standard Microsoft's COM and IBM's SOM
(pre-CORBA ORB) were solutions to calling C++ libraries from other
languages and other C++ compilers. So COM and CORBA really are the industry
standard approaches. However if all you have is a C++ library at the moment
you need to wrap it up in some COM or CORBA machinery. Perhaps there are
C++ IDEs which will wizard that for you?

__Jason

Follow-Ups: References: