[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Functional Developer UNICODE support + source?

"Eric Gouriou" <eric_gouriou@pobox.com> wrote in message 3B5FAFA4.7501CDB5@pobox.com">news:3B5FAFA4.7501CDB5@pobox.com...
>  And have you ever heard of two CL / Dylan / Scheme / ... vendors
> linking programs together ? :-(
>
>  The lack of a common C++ name-mangling scheme is indeed
> a blessing until a common ABI emerges. And the absence of an early
> ABI can also be seen as a blessing, since it allowed some alternative
> implementation techniques to be developped over the years before the
> standardisation effort started.
>
>  Example:
>  "zero-cost" exception handling schemes are only now becoming the norm,
> and those would have been hindered by earlier ABI standards.
> (Now whether they are a blessing or a curse is another debate :-). )

Eric,
I'm not sure I agree. Standards evolve just as compiler implementation
techniques evolve. How hard would it be to put an ABI version number into
an object file for use by a linker/loader?  Or is the issue more complicated
than this?

Cheers,
Mark.